Two Queenslanders who used the curtains to conceal their bodies have been awarded $1 million in damages by the Federal Court
Posted October 06, 2019 18:25:53 The NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal has awarded $2 million to two people who had curtains installed to conceal them from the outside world.
The pair of Sydney couple, who have been described as the “worst case of concealment” by their lawyer, were among a group of five people who were given a $5,000 sum to cover any future damages if they ever came into contact with the curtains.
The Curtains’ lawyer David Lees said the curtains had been installed in their own home in September 2017 and were removed in February 2018.
The curtain track in the background of the CCTV footage of the pair is shown in this undated handout picture provided by the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NSWCCAT).
“They were obviously embarrassed and concerned about the privacy issues that were created by the curtains,” Mr Lees told the ABC.
“They have been entitled to compensation from the Curtains and the Curtises have been seeking that compensation.”
Mr Leys said the Curtles would also appeal the court’s decision and that the curtains should be removed.
He said the NSWCCAT had heard from the two Curtains who had installed the curtains, and it was now clear that the Curtuses had installed them on their own property, and not at another location.
The curtains were installed in September and removed in January.
Mr Les said he had “no doubt” the Curtus would be granted compensation.
“The Curtains were entitled to $5 million in compensation from that period,” he said.
“I would have thought that would have been sufficient.”
The Curtus track in a CCTV image of the Curtissons, left, and the curtain in the foreground of a video.
Mr Lee said the curtain was installed on their property, which was near a park and picnic area, and that he believed the curtains were used as a “hidden surveillance system” during the incident.
“We’re trying to establish if it was an actual CCTV camera, or if it’s a surveillance device that they installed on the property,” he told the National Media.
The court heard the Curtis had been warned that they would be prosecuted if they installed the curtain, and they did not remove it. “
There’s a huge amount of money to be made from this, but I think we should at least try to understand what the actual CCTV was and see if we can get a better understanding of the whole situation.”
The court heard the Curtis had been warned that they would be prosecuted if they installed the curtain, and they did not remove it.
The court has yet to decide on whether to award the Curtents compensation or award costs, but Mr Leves said it would be a “massive blow” to their case.
“It’s a massive blow,” he added.
“Not only for the Curtides, but it’s going to be a massive shock for other people who do the same thing.”